Thursday, May 19, 2005

Just a job?

Every day, I go to work. That pretty much make up like 11 hours of my day. I sleep like maybe 6 hours. So that gives me like 7 hours for anything else on a work day. Now, with this amount of hours spend at work, one might think that there's a payoff somewhere. That you sacrifice money for time. Interestingly, not the case. I earn minimum wage. Literally. I dare say I earn the least in the whole of my company and yet clock about the same or more hours. Even the receptionist (fact) earns more. Hell, after everything else, I get about the same when I was serving my national service and at least they provide lodgings and food. I may have gotten the same pay at my previous jobs but my payoff was that I had more time. This job gives me no cash and no time. It can get to you when your mind wanders and think " After ALL the hard work, I can barely make ends meet....." Thats the first issue of my job. Then, there's the unfavourable working conditions. Deadlines are impossible at times. Just this week, my efforts for a certain project over a few days (including a sat) are rendered almost useless just cause of bad judgment/management and through no fault of my own, still got to finish the project and meet the deadline. Boss can even call you in on a sat (though to be fair, they pay on sat) nonchalently, like I'm obliged to do it.( yes, the boss does not not come in on sat) Normal, you may say. Thats life. Well, I would say true, but it does not nullify the fact that one will and can get frustrated, agitated and discourage in these circumstance, no matter how "normal" it is.
Question you may ask: Is there a point to all these whining, complains and "bitching"? Yes. This is my point ......

This is my life. It can be a drag at times. But in the end, for whom and for what am I living for?
Answer: For the Lord Jesus Christ. For His glory. For my Father's will to be done in my life. No matter the circumstances in my life ( if I be honest, my troubles if i can call it that, are really nothing compared to many) I must learn to live for God's glory and for His glory alone. God put me in this job. He provided. I do not know the full reason why and I do not need to know. I'm at my present job cause God wants me there. In the end, its all a matter of obedience, a surrendering of my will to God and to say " Let your will be done". My heart might have a burden to do something else altogether, but it is not the Lord's time for me to do that yet. So I will learn to wait. To cultivate patience. It will be foolish and rebellious of me to do and be anywhere else. To be in my Father's perfect will, thats what I hope and pray at all times.
I believe that one of the reasons God wants me at my job is to learn how to raise above my circumstances with the help of the Holy Spirit . To learn to focus on Him even when the stresses and pressures of modern urban life sets in. To empathise and pray for those who walk the same path .To rest perfectly in His providence, to trust fully in His promises and to know that He loves me more than I will ever fully know. I need not strive. I need not fret. I need not worry. I need not fear and dread the circimstances in my life. I need not live a joyless life. I just need to obey. To know the source of my very being, is the Almighty Himself. The one who created the heavens and the earth, and nothing ever happens with out His soverign permission. Yes, He is more than enough. And I can give thanks and sing praises to the God who is faithful always.
I give thanks for the job I have. For the money, time and talent which God has bless me with. For my needs and more being met every single day. For the Lord giving me an increasing hunger for His word, for prayer, intercession for others. For His very presence in my life. For the privilage to be call a child of the Most High God.
When my flesh cries out "Injustice! Unfair! My job should be more than this" then will the Holy Spirit whisper " Remember your brothers,sisters and many others all over the world who has so much lesser? You are bless more than you imagine. Do not rant and strive any more. Rest in me and obey my will."
" Yes Lord. I will learn. I will be moulded by you, use by you for your glory and your glory alone. I surrender all. Give me your heart for I know how little of love, compassion, mercy and grace I have for the peple in my life. For the little perserverance, courage and faith I show in my life. I am a weak man. A great sinner. In your grace I live daily .I will eternally be grateful for all that you have done for me. For your kingdom. For your will. For your glory. Always. Amen."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home